Monday, 24 June 2013

"Being true to oneself"

"If choosing one’s values is just some mysterious feel thing conducted in the isolated crucible of the disengaged self, it becomes little more than an emotional lucky dip, easily manipulated by forces outside the self that are not being critically examined. No wonder ‘being true to yourself’ has so little resistance to the power of advertising.
 
 
 
 
 
Which is why we need to remember our catechism (or at least the one I learned at my Convent school)    http://www.proecclesia.com/penny%20catechism/
 
"Who made you?"  God made me
"Why did he make you?"  God made me to know him, love him and serve him in this world, and to be happy with him forever in the next
 
Nothing there about "being true to yourself" - it's ALL about being true to what God made you, as a unique and holy and loved individual.
 
Somewhere, I have got the tattered red paper catechism that we were all given, whether we were Catholic or not (I'm not) by the nuns, and which we studied in RE lessons. This has inspired me to go and look for it (but I will probably have forgotten about this inspiration before I get back upstairs - such is the frailty of human nature.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment